Are my chickens molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pelephant, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Pelephant

Pelephant Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Yesterday, I was shocked to discover that two of my hens were losing feathers by the handful. There were feathers all over the coop and the ground. I took a grab at them to check them out, and discovered that their feathers seemed to be breaking(?) off, and they felt "bony" all over.

Afraid that it might be lice, I searched them but didn't find anything. What I did find however, was a lot of pointy feather stalks, I'm not sure how to describe it, but just the stalk part without the feathers. I'm deathly afraid that they might have some time of disease or pest, but then again, they might just be molting. I've only had my chickens for a year, so I'm unsure as to what molting looks like.

I don't have a rooster, and these two hens haven't been laying for some time now.
    Here are some pictures, might be hard to see from afar, but could you give me some advice?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jbowen9

jbowen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    southwest Virginia
    looks like moulting where do you live most of mine is coming out of moulting right now starting to get their feathers back but if your in a warmer climate it is very possible it is moulting

3. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like moulting...I have 3 looking like yours. Looks like they had a pillow fight in the run! No eggs....hope this ends soon!

4. Pelephant

Pelephant Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you for the response! That's such a relief, and I have been worried to death for the last day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by