Are My Chickens Molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirl7, Jan 21, 2015.

1. farmgirl7

farmgirl7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    There are no bare necks or other bare spots, just feathers in the coop and run. I can't even tell who is losing the feathers. Is there a pattern most of them follow? The feathers are all different colors and sizes. Some look like butt feathers and others like tail or wing feathers. If is is a molt, how long will it last? Will they get ugly looking or might they just gradually lose and grow back? I have brown leg horns. They are almost 10 months and the 6 are laying 1 to 4 eggs per day.

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's unlikely that they are going through a real molt at their age. It may be just a mini-molt. No, they shouldn't get real ugly with major feather loss. That comes next fall.

3. farmgirl7

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    Good! And thanks! Anything extra I should be providing them during their "mini-molt"?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Had a 9 month old go into partial molt a couple months ago, stopped laying was the first sign...then saw alot of feathers, finally her tail was gone...it was then I knew for sure.

She got pretty scraggly looking here and there, especially around her neck, but tail was soon grown back and now I'm just waiting for those eggs...hope she gets it on soon, want to hatch some of her eggs end of next month.

Extra animal protein always helps with feather regrowth.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Any extra protein you can. Higher protein feed, meat scraps, mealworms, etc.

6. farmgirl7

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    I've started to up their higher protein snacks. They seem to be losing tail feathers, some wing feathers and today, butt feathers are really looking tattered. The coop is sure a mess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by