are my chickens sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TUBOLA, Oct 4, 2016.

1. TUBOLA

TUBOLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2015
    I have three chickens and they are adorable, but for the past couple of days my chickens are not eating as well as they used to and are not laying, are they sick?
    They do not appear to be in distress and they still come to me to pet them, walking around the yard as usual. Need help as I am new at this, had them for about a year.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    They could be going through molt. That'll knock a chicken back. See any loose feathers everywhere?

When was the last time you wormed your flock and checked them for lice and mites? Parasites can also decrease egg production and it's a double whammy if they're molting, too.

You could increase their protein to see if that helps. If not, I'd worm them with Valbazen and dust with Viper or Sevin.

MrsB

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Could they be molting?
    Have you noticed any feather loss and new pin feathers coming in?

Chickens may not eat quite as much when they are molting and will stop laying eggs.

Provide them with a higher protein diet like an all flock/flock raiser or feather fixer formula or give some egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/12/molting-what-is-it-and-how-to-help.html

4. TUBOLA

TUBOLA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2015
    Ty you all for your kind and competent advice, Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by