Are my chickens sick????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffychickens6, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Umm... my chickens are having a wateryish :( and also my rhode island red pullet is lyk making these airy noises and i THINK she sneezed two times, but she looks the same as always and is full of energy too.

how can i treat the diarrhea?
    i heard plain yougurt will help, but i only have greek yogurt with preserved blueberry like jam at the bottom of the container currently so is there any other way?

Also, what finisher grower feed do you recommend for abt 2month and 2wk old chickens? also i'm still using the same feeder and waterer they used when they were chicks and they tend to spill the food over easily, any recommended DIYs or good ones that they wont easily knock over? THXXXX

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I keep my chickens on starter grower for 20 weeks--18-20% protein. The all flock feed from Purina is slightly bigger crumbles. I would recommend that you use a probiotic for chickens--it may help better than yogurt which may cause more diarrhea. Gro2Max and Probios Dispersible Powder are good, and a lot of poultry vitamins contain probiotics now. My Nutrena Naturewise feed contains probiotics, but not all of their feeds do--read the label. The feeders and waterers need to be raised up to shoulder height on bricks. The larger the waterer is the heavier and it's less likely to be spilled. The 2 gallon metal waterers are pretty hard to turn over. There are 1-2-3-5 gallon plastic waterers that are good, but the 1 gallon ones which are easiest to clean and fill are easily turned over when they are less than 1/2 full. The feeders should be hung from the ceiling at shoulder height, and I use both metal and plastic.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. Fluffychickens6

Aug 17, 2014
    Ahhh I see THANK YOU! [​IMG]

Do u have any links to the grower feed? thx ^_^

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you looked to see what brands are available in your area feed stores? I use Purina or Nutrena Countryside, but I wouldn't recommend Dumor since it is too powdery. The regular Nutrena doesn't contain probiotics, but the Nutrena Countryside does. There are other very good brands available in different parts of the country. Here's one link:
    http://www.nutrenaworld.com/product...try/naturewise-chick-starter-grower/index.jsp

5. Fluffychickens6

Aug 17, 2014
    Thank you!!! [​IMG]

6. Fluffychickens6

Aug 17, 2014
    also, do I feed them chick starter grower or is that only for chicks? they're currently pullets, their "teenager" years....? around 2mnths old, they're currently still eating medicated chick feed (I was instructed to finish the bag before i start the grower)

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens need to be on grower until they are laying eggs. On the average that may be 20 weeks, give or take a week. Once they are laying they need the extra calcium that layer feed provides, and it is slightly lower in protein (16%.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by