Are my chickens skinny?

Heidi T

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
How do you tell if a chicken is skinny? I have a flock of egg layers. Two Domineques, two Red Sex Links, and two Orohingtons.(sp?) They're not "meaty" and I can feel thier brest bone. They have free access to feed, a mix of laying crumble and meat bird mix, corn and oats in the morning and what ever left overs I have. I am trying to give them high calories as we are having a COLD winter.

If your chickens are teenagers they will feel skinny alongside the keel. If they are grown up, you should feel some meat there and your chickens should not feel lightweight.

Skinny hens with diarrhea may mean worms. Mites/lice can also make them thin.

You can also weigh them but I don't do that. I can tell by lifting the bird whether they have lost weight, as I pick my birds up.

You will be able to feel the breastbone...that isn't important. What is important is that you feel meat beside the bone, along the sides toward the front.

Last edited:
To me the most important thing is how they act. If they're alert, active, glossy feathers, bright eyed, laying well if appropriate, healthy looking combs, no issues with disease or parasites, they're good. Some birds are a little lighter weight than others, but so are some humans! As long as they have feed available, and are healthy looking and acting, I don't worry about it.

Thank you for the advise. I won't worry (too much) but will worm and dust them.They are happy and active.

Back
Top Bottom