1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chickens stupid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hipmarye, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    We have four 13 week old pullets. After a huge thunderstorm yesterday I went out to check on them and they were all standing in the run huddle together soaking wet. I can't imagine why they didn't go inside. I picked one of them up and put her near the door then the rest followed. Is it OK for them to get wet like that? I don't want them to get sick.

2. beejay86

beejay86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Western Massachusetts
    My chickens are always outside when it rains. They must like the shower. Unless it is really heavy and thunder, they will stay outside. They might have better luck finding bugs and worms in the rain. I don't think they will get sick. Usually, their instinct will take over if they need to go in.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Nope..some of them like to be out in the rain...

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    It poured at my house yesterday and I mean it poured. I looked out at the run and all my big girls went inside the coop. The new girls who are around 2 month old were out in the rain. I guess they were having a good time they didn't seem bothered by it.

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Mary,

DId we not get a flood yesterday!!! I didn't realize it was storming so bad because I was getting tomatos ready for the frezer. DH called and I looked out and WOW. I yelled for my daughter that was home at the time to get into the bathtub the wind was blowing so bad.

Before it started to lightening I went down and opened the doors so they could get in but some didn't they decided to get wet!!

I wish it would stop raining for a week.

jackie

6. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I have noticed that chickens do become more sensible as they age. With experience comes wisdom, I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by