Are My Chickens Too Cold? They live in Ontario, Canada!

chickenlady2017

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2017
We have 7 ladies, 2 big pullets and a rooster (with a fancy comb) - a mix of easter eggers & orpingtons and chantecler crosses. My coop is shown in the attached photo - we have a bit of insulation on the back and side but otherwise it's just plywood walls. We are trying the deep litter method to add some heat but our temperature gauge shows that it's not much warmer in the coop than outside of it. Just worried because pretty soon it'll get colder and temperatures could get to -20 degrees celsius (-4 fahrenheit).

Questions:
What's the lowest temperature they can stand?
What's the best / desired / target humidity level?
Any tips for putting jelly on my rooster's comb?
Do all the chicken's feet need jelly?
Any tips for keeping them warm in general?

Thank YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 88
Love the decorations :)

I only had four leghorns last year, in a big coop, without any insulation. They were fine; I can't remember if we had any -40 days last year (temperature was really up and down!).

I didn't do any special winter-care. But there was a tiny bit of frostbite on at least one of their combs I seem to recall.

Ventilation is key - make sure there's a place for moisture to escape your coop.

And :welcome
We have a Canadian thread as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canadians-check-in-here.144/page-402#post-19274719

X2 on what Treerooted said. We get -40 for at least a few days every winter and the birds do just fine. In fact my turkeys used to prefer to roost in the tree in their run when it was that cold.

I’ve never had a big beautiful comb make it through the winter unscathed unfortunately, but that doesn’t seem to bother the bird at all. Good luck.

P.s. there are hundreds of threads on here about keeping birds in the cold, use the search function and you’ll find hours of reading on the subject

The pea comb breed would be best for cold climate.
Araucanas/Americanas, Buff Brahmas, Dark Brahmas, Dark Cornish, Light Brahmas, Sumatras, and White Laced Red Cornish.

I don't live in Canada but I'm right on the border of southern Canada so it's colder than most of America. I think -4 F should be ok for them, chickens are able to withstand -20F and with good ventilation and friends, maybe -25F. I wouldn't worry a whole ton unless they show many signs of freezing like not leaving the coop and constantly huddling together. And if you have hardy breeds I'm sure they'll be fine, but please take advice from these other great people that live near you. I'm pretty new but cold and predators were the first things I searched since this is MY first flock's first winter.

Questions:
What's the lowest temperature they can stand? -40º+-
What's the best / desired / target humidity level? NO CLUE
Any tips for putting jelly on my rooster's comb?
Do "NOT" let him grab you inside one of your nostrils.
Do all the chicken's feet need jelly? I have "NEVER" done so.
Any tips for keeping them warm in general?

My method for dealing with winter is quite simple one extra feeder of whole corn. I live in Canada subject to -40º. I have 67 trips around the sun. I have raised various types of chickens and birds for decades.

TLC still has to be provided to birds that may not be adapting well to the diet. For the most part birds are vocal happy and do just fine. NO HEAT NO EXTRA LIGHT please and thank you works fine for me and my flock.

If for any reason you find it necessary to supply electricity to your coop via extension cord.

Please employ a "Ground Fault Outlet" also use a "Safety Chain" in conjunction to any heat lamp or incandescent bulb after mounting.
One coop fire is too many and these precautions could be the difference.

A simple action such as a rodent chewing on your extension cord could be the cause of a coop fire and a ground fault circuit could be the difference in witnessing your coop in tack or a pile of smoldering ash.

gf-outlet-jpg.1164047

P.S. There are now a variety of ground fault extension cords available in major retail centers that also would be a wise investment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom