Are my chicks always going to love me ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dez, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dez

Dez Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Kissimmee
    I have two female chicks.. a RIR and an Easter egger. Both about 5 or 6 weeks old. Almost all their feathers have come in except for on their heads.

I do spend a fair amount of time with them. When I take them outside they follow me. When I sit on the lawn chairs they come and hop up on my lap and start preening their feathers. Sometimes when I am just standing there they will 'fly' up on me so I will catch them. and they are happy to sit on my shoulder (like a parrot) . They seem very content to be scratching around on the ground where I am. They don't always like for me to pick them up unless it is their idea. Sometimes if I forget to shut the sliding door all the way they will follow me in the house. I have been surprised to find the two little ones curled up on the couch like they own the place! [​IMG]

I was just wondering if they will become more independent as they grow or will they continue to enjoy my company? I like to have them visit with me when I sit outside and I would love fro them to continue to do it but I just have a feeling this will be a behavior they will outgrow as they become 'teenagers'

2. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    You know what they say,"nothing stays the same forever". Kids grow up.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    They will always love you if you bring them treats to eat

4. zzzzac

zzzzac Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Melbourne, Fl
    In my experience my chicks grew to like me even more as they got older. they hated to be touched or handled when they were little but now as soon as i go outside they are right behind me and fly up on the patio furniture when i sit outside.

5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Yep! [​IMG]

6. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    With our chickens it's according to their mood. They all are more independent but still come running when we go out to the backyard. And several of them sit on my lap for their treats.

Larry

7. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I'm going to have to spend more time with my chicks ![​IMG]

8. Dez

Dez Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Kissimmee
    Quote:Ah of course.. the way to a chicken's heart is through her stomach. I should have known!

I just hope they grow up to be sweet little hen's because they are such sweet little chicks. I guess I will have to wait and see

YYZ, where in Maine are you from? I live inf Florida for the past 7 years but I grew up in Maine and my family still lives there

9. agstanley

agstanley Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Conway, MO
    Oh Come on! Really?!

10. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:What do you mean by this?

My chicks have very independent personalities. But I have found that the very friendly ones, stay that way, as long as you continue to give them attention (and of course treats). I have several hens that love me more and more all the time. They beg for "petsies" and even compete for my attention. Those girls don't even care if I have treats, they just want lovin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by