Are my chicks dumb? and do i need the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BairleaFarm, May 7, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Seems my two week olds are not smart enough to go back into the coop. I know they can because Ive watched them wonder up and down the walk board. When I open the door in the morning its like a free for all to see who can get out of the coop the quickest. At night I have to make all of then go in the coop. (I would assume this is because they dont yet roost.) Any ways It rained today and the 3 week olds were in the coop. The 2 week olds were huddled under the walk board. Why didnt they go inside?

They are cute.

[​IMG]

I figure animals are animals and lived thousands or years without us aiding them. I put the babies in the coop as soon as i got them. I looked at them last night and noticed they are no longer sleeping under the light. I raised it up in case its to warm for them. We have had night temps in the 40s They act like they dont really want it but I plan to keep it until they have feathers.

[​IMG]

2. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

From the look of things, they still appreciate the lamp--they're all lying in a little arc just out of the lamp's direct beam, where it's still fairly warm. They may not want the full heat of the lamp, but they want some of it. If they didn't want the lamp at all, they'd be in the corners or sprawled out anywhere except under the lamp. I'd keep using the lamp for at least another week, possibly longer depending on night time temperatures where you are. The other nice thing about a lamp is it provides light, and they're less likely to pile if they have a "night-light".

Regarding the younger ones not understanding how to get back into the shelter: two-week-old chicks aren't very good at reasoning yet, while three-week-olds are able to start thinking for themselves. At two weeks old, their mother is still telling them what to do, where to roost, what's safe to eat. At three weeks, they're starting to explore and get bolder; they still want Mommy, but they aren't as dependent. It's good that you're keeping an eye on these kids, because they would have spent the whole night under the board and gotten chilled if it hadn't been for your checking on them. Just baby-sit the situation for a little longer, and I bet they start going to bed with the bigger kids in another week or so.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I watch them all the time and check them every hour or so during the day. I put them all back in the coop about the time I think they would naturally roost. Ive got a 3 month or so old hen that isnt much for mothering. I figured she be nothing mother wise since shes so young and was givin to me after the chicks were here. The little rooster was pecking a few of the chicks. Not bad just aggravating them. He would peck them she would peck him. Broke him of that in less than a day.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    The chicks in the first picture do not look like two week olds at all. Frankly I would not have them outside in cool/damp weather that little.

Yes, they have lived without human aid but in the wild, they have a mother hen to keep them warm anytime they are chilly. When you stick young chicks like that outside, they do not have a mother to run under if they are chilly. It took more than a week for my almost three month old chicks to learn to go into the coop every night. Give them time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by