Are my chicks getting sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroo!, May 4, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I just looked in on my chicks. I got them from TSC on 4/18. I just saw one of them gaping it's mouth open! Does this mean they could be getting sick? [​IMG]

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    are they too hot? do they have lots of water to drink? thats all I can think of.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Just like zatsdeb asked, are they to hot? I've noticed my chickens do this when it is hot outside.

4. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I think that is it because the temp is reading 86 in the brooder! I have to keep them in our bathroom and keep the door shut because we have a jack russell that would tear them up if she could get near them. There's two windows in the bathroom and I just opened the 2nd one. Is there anything else that I could do for them?

Oh yeah, they do have plenty of clean water.

5. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Lock the Jack Russell in the bathroom and bring the chicks out somewhere cooler? [​IMG]

6. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    It's much cooler in the bathroom now that I opened both windows and it's evening. I will keep an eye on them though.
    Thanks everyone!

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sounds like they are too hot...are they avoiding the heat lamp if you have one? You are not using cedar shavings are you? If so, get rid of it asap...it will kill them.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If you don't want to keep the window open or risk drafts, try a lower watt light bulb or raising the lamp higher away from the birds so it is not so hot for them.

Jody

9. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I haven't had to use a heat lamp for about a 1 1/2 wks. now. They all seem much happier when it's between 70 - 75. I have them on the counter and there is a floor to ceiling cabinet that is on the far end of the brooder, there's really no way they could catch a draft. I haven't seen any of them gape their mouth since last night but I am still keeping an eye on them.

Oh yeah, and they are not on cedar they are on pine shavings [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by