Are my chicks going to be inside forever??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledegg, Jul 19, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Ok, a little dramatic, but so are they! [​IMG] They don't want to stay outside a night. They are almost 6 weeks old and fully feathered. The nights are in the mid 50's (good ol PNW!) We have a chicken ark tractor and they are so happy in there all day, but come night time, they are SOOOO loud!! I'd leave them in there and let them work it out and put themselves to bed, but they are loud enough to disturb the neighbors. They happily hop into my hands for me to bring them inside to their brooder for the night. They seem to know the drill...

How do I ease the transition to leaving them outside for the night? Any advice?

2. WalkingHorse

WalkingHorse Out Of The Brooder

Bare in mind I'm new to chickens..raising my first little flock. Do they have a night light in their outdoor tractor? Also, I have come to learn that they are creatures of habit and routine just like my horses. Maybe they are peeping in protest because they know you will bring them in to their familiar nighty night spot? [​IMG] PS please send some of your 50F weather down here! [​IMG]

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you move the coop close to the house, and let them make a Racket. It's just the great unknown with them right now. [​IMG]

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I second the light idea. I did that for my first set of babies and they did GREAT. looks like my second batch of chicks is going to respond equally well [​IMG]

Just one of those battery powered touch lights is sufficient...no power cord required.

5. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:I would have never thought of a touch light! Good idea [​IMG]

6. speckledegg

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Thanks! I think I will get a touch light. The thing is, we have a REALLY small fenced backyard in the suburbs. Our neighbors are really close and the tractor is already close to the house. lol! I've been keeping the back porch light on, but I'll try a touch light in their tractor too. Thanks!

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It's possible they don't feel secure in their chicken tractor at night. Do they have any type of sheltered area where they feel less exposed to the elements? Do they have a roost where they can get up off of the ground? While my 5 week olds are in their brooder in the garage at night but I've noticed that they always want to be up on their perches and will push each other around for a space on the highest roost.

8. speckledegg

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    They do have a nice high place to roost and the ark is really protected. The roof comes down on the sides pretty far (farther than most) to protect it and then the bottom part is covered with hardware cloth. I think part of the problem is that they don't really roost yet. Maybe I'll put them on their roost tonight and show them how it's done and see what they do. [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Cover their tractor and put a light in it. Works for me...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Do you close the door at night?

I left chicks in the brooder for the first time last night (2 day olds), and when I turned the light out, I was sure the neighbours would come knocking! I have chicks that are afraid of the dark lol. So I left my computer screen on (pc on too) and they quietened down straight away. But my, what a fuss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by