Are my chicks not so smart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemom9, May 26, 2008.

1. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have a question, It was beginning to storm here and my chicks were out in the run. The door was open to the coop, and the big door was not, the thunder was going and it was beginning to lightening and I look out the window and they are all huddled in a corner of the pen just a cheeping, so what did this good mom do? I went out in the rain and shooed them all in to the coop and shut them in and turned on the light even though it was not dark. so my question is are all chicks not that smart enough to come out of the storm to the coop or is it just my girls that are not too bright? Or am I just a worry wart mom and would they have been okay? It is suppossed to storm all day the next two days and I am wondering if I should let them out as it gets so warm in the coop and them worry and chase them back in if it is thundering and lightening? Am I just a nut or what? Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    How old are your chicks? Good that you shooed them in, next time they may know what to do. They could have been scared and not known what to do if they are young.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Mine did that during their first T-storm, they free range in the yard so they all hid under the deck behind the AC compressor. We had to pick them up 1 by 1 and put them in the coop. Since then they have found the coop on their own when necessary, but unless its a T-storm they are out digging for goodies when it rains (unles its dark, then they're roosting).

4. chickiemom9

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG] They are 6 weeks old today and they have been living in the big coop for about 3 weeks now. I think that they just did not know what to do. don't know if they did know where to go because the light wasn't on but is it now. Do you think I should do the same tomorrow if it rains, so they learn to go in? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Did you have them in a covered run?

My full grown hen will stay ut during a thunder storm unless it is real dark. If it is raining real hard they just go into the woods or stay under the pourch.

If they are in a covered run I don't see why it would be bad for them to be out, unless it is real windy.

Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG]

6. chickiemom9

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yes it is a covered run and the only thing that made me think they were scared was they were all piled up on each other and peeping like crazy. I guess I am just a worry wart about my baby girls and I need to let them grow up huh? I will let them enjoy the outside tomorrow and just keep and eye and ear out for them. Thanks for the help I really appreciate the great answers. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    It usually only takes a couple times showing them to go into coop and then they will do it on their own. But it is ok for them to be out in the rain if they want. Sometimes my chickens stay out in the rain. My chickens free range most of the time and they have lots of things to go under and a barn to go into. So I don't worry about them too much. They even know to hide when the hawks are flying above. I recently lost 3 7 week old chicks though, and I am not sure if a hawk got them or the fox, because I had forgot to shut the door one night and I did not notice they were gone until I got home from work. I do not recall if I saw them in the morning or not. So I am not sure what time they disappeared.
    [​IMG]

8. chickiemom9

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, gosh I am so sorry for your loss. That is one of the reasons I so not want to let my chicks free range as we have coyote, fox , wild cats and nieghbors that let their dogs run loose and I am just a worry wart mama. I'd be out there following them all around waddeling behind them amking sure they were safe. Now that is a visual I do not want to think about!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They did what came natural...sit and huddle. If they were babies with mama, they would get under her and she would sit to keep them warm and dry.

They will get the hang of it if you show them the way a few times.

10. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    This may sound a bit crazy.....but my grandparents always told me that if the chickens stayed out in the rain that it ment it was going to rain for a long time.....but if they went for shelter that it was only going to rain a short bit....they are old fashion but after watching my chickens it's kinda true....lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by