are my chicks okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aleia, Feb 23, 2013.

1. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    I got four chicks 3 days ago, and when I brought them home they wouldn't stop peeping! We've spent lots of time cuddling with them, and the first couple days they seemed pretty normal. But last night and today, every time I check on them they are just laying in the bottom of the brooder, not making any noise. They are not too hot or cold, they have plenty of food and water (which they were partaking of at least yesterday). Are they sick, or do chicks just sleep a LOT once they get settled in?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Congrats on the new peeps. They do a distress type of peeping when they are too hot, too cold or are scared. It your temps are fine and they are all eating and drinking (add a 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar to their water - it's good for them) Relax they are catching up on much needed rest from the stress of getting use to a new home.

3. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    Whew! Thanks for the input - and I will try the apple cider vinegar!

4. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Great! I forgot to mention they will also do a distress loud peeping if they run out of food or water - like it's the end of the world. Most of time time they do happy peeps and you will quickly learn the difference. : )

5. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    Thanks for the reassurance. They are peeping again today (happy peeps!), and running around more. So friendly and sweet!

6. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Happy Peeps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by