Are my chicks over eating?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I've never had this issue before, not sure their breed (or mix). They are almost all feathered. but now they almost always have a golf ball sized lump in their chest area (their gullet or whatever it's called). The chicks still have the fuzzy head but the rest is feathers (if that gives an idea of how small they are). They are still eating, drinking and pooping. Should I worry?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thats their crops and no I would not worry...its normal...you just have little piggies on your hands! Lol

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Thanks. I was starting to worry. I've raised chicks all my life and have never had any of them get their crops that full. Makes them look kind of deformed.

4. kwinnypoo

kwinnypoo Chirping

Mar 28, 2012
    Sometimes they can get an impacted crop... Make sure you are feeding a food with grit in it, or offer grit separately.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

The only thing I would worry over is if they were eating saw dust shavings...or hay/straw

6. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    The chicks were outside until tonight. a cat killed 3, so now the other 3 are in the house. I don't want to lose anymore chicks. My favorite one was killed :(

7. aggiemae

aggiemae Songster

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Sorry about your chicks. I have a cat that hunts EVERYTHING and it can be a pain but then again we haven't had a rat problem since we got him.

You might need to make your chicks a portable run.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I think for now on when I"m not out there with them they'll be in a wire dog crate. If it's raining they can be in the house in a tote til they are adults then i'll figure something else out. Maybe get a kennel with a top on it or something.

9. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Songster

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I have one chick that's been looking "swollen" for a few days. I gave s/he about .2cc syringe of olive oil, 2x last week. Seems to be ok, just a little lumpy - they have chick grit....And I've actually seen the chick eat it.

It looks like a runt, too. Not growing/feathering like the others....[​IMG]

10. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Because of the stress yesterday I gave my chicks 1/4 tsp sugar in a half gallon of water. This seemed to have helped my one that is left that has been over eating. The other two that are left don't over eat but they enjoy scratching at the ground. So I'm thinking of moving them outside in a wire dog crate. *sigh* Just so worried about them being outside now cause there are so few of them and they might get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: