Are my chicks over eating?

Sweetlilbaby

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Tacoma Washington
I've never had this issue before, not sure their breed (or mix). They are almost all feathered. but now they almost always have a golf ball sized lump in their chest area (their gullet or whatever it's called). The chicks still have the fuzzy head but the rest is feathers (if that gives an idea of how small they are). They are still eating, drinking and pooping. Should I worry?

Sometimes they can get an impacted crop... Make sure you are feeding a food with grit in it, or offer grit separately.

The chicks were outside until tonight. a cat killed 3, so now the other 3 are in the house. I don't want to lose anymore chicks. My favorite one was killed :(

Sorry about your chicks. I have a cat that hunts EVERYTHING and it can be a pain but then again we haven't had a rat problem since we got him.

You might need to make your chicks a portable run.

Sorry about your chicks. I have a cat that hunts EVERYTHING and it can be a pain but then again we haven't had a rat problem since we got him.

You might need to make your chicks a portable run.

I think for now on when I"m not out there with them they'll be in a wire dog crate. If it's raining they can be in the house in a tote til they are adults then i'll figure something else out. Maybe get a kennel with a top on it or something.

I have one chick that's been looking "swollen" for a few days. I gave s/he about .2cc syringe of olive oil, 2x last week. Seems to be ok, just a little lumpy - they have chick grit....And I've actually seen the chick eat it.

It looks like a runt, too. Not growing/feathering like the others....
hmm.png

Because of the stress yesterday I gave my chicks 1/4 tsp sugar in a half gallon of water. This seemed to have helped my one that is left that has been over eating. The other two that are left don't over eat but they enjoy scratching at the ground. So I'm thinking of moving them outside in a wire dog crate. *sigh* Just so worried about them being outside now cause there are so few of them and they might get cold.

Back
Top Bottom