Are my chicks playing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dolivo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Dolivo

Dolivo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    Hi, first time chick parent here. Got my 20 new chicks yesterday, put them in a brooder that was too small. So today I made a much larger one and moved them over. Then I just watched. They would take turns running, i mean running as fast as they could go, back and forth and back and forth. Nothing was scaring them, so I am assuming this was normal behavior? Is this how they "play"? Also, when should I worry about them starting to fly up a bit in their brooder? They are 3-4 days old. Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is perfectly normal behaviour, they're just stretching their legs and playing. If you give them a treat, or one of them find a bug or something, you'll see it run around with it, cheeping like mad, with the others chasing it too! Depending on the height of the brooder sides, they may start exploring and escaping when they are about 2 weeks old… And if you think they are running fast now, try catching them once they're out of the brooder!

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I guess it depends on the breeds too but at about 8 days old mine were trying to fly and doing a pretty good job of it! I'd definitely get a cover so they don't fly out! Of your box. They don't need all their wing feathers to be really good escape artists. Out of my 10 the only one who couldn't fly was my Silver penciled Rock. I think it's because she's a bigger or heavier baby. Just be careful and get a cover soon. Maybe a chicken wire or something you can still see in with.

4. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you! They are so funny to watch. I guess I didn't expect to see such personalities on chickens. I've never been around them before. I do have the brooder covered with mesh screens. I look forward to learning all about them as I go. I'm sure I will be a steady question-asker here. I have seven different breeds of layers, Rhode island reds, new Hampshire reds, Amber whites,ameraucanas, blue speckled, wyomdottes (sp?), and black australorps.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You got some wonderful breeds! I had some hatchery (not "pure") RIR and absolutely adored them. Chickens have a lot of personality, even from a very young age, you'll start seeing some are very people friendly and want attention, some are more assertive, some are escape artists, some are more timid... They are lovely creatures and great fun to have around. You will be amazed how enjoyable chicken keeping can be, I know I was! I impulse bought my first few chicks nearly 10 years ago and I can't imagine my life without them now [​IMG]

If you have time to do some reading, there are some very interesting and informative articles in the Learning Center here, but of course you are more than welcome to ask questions too!

6. Dolivo

Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you! I will definitly check out the learning center!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by