1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my chicks ruined for life after one was attacked and died?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chick Crzy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Chick Crzy

Chick Crzy New Egg

Oct 11, 2012
    I have 2 Ameracauanas and 2 (1) are 5 Copper Marran that are 5 weeks old and I put them in their coop 2 days ago. Im in Texas so it's still warm here so I thought why not. I have hardwire cloth streched on the bottom of the run (it is attached to the coop) and it is off the ground since we have drainage issues here in Dallas. Unfortunatly for me and the baby chick, I had something reach through the bottom last night and take my favorite baby from me. I have no idea what it was but we do have opposums, racoons, rats, mice armadillos and who knows what else. It may sound like a zoo but I am actually in the city of Mckinney, Texas. We are just on the outskirts of the Dallas Metro.

So my question is are my chicks ruined from going back up into the coop? I keep trying to put them in there and they keep jumping out and just refuse to go in there. I even put food and water in there as well as outside just so they could be comfy and not have to go on the wire at night.

On a side note I wrapped the entire bottom with hardwire cloth today and burried it so noting can get back in for another tasty meal.

2. moomoodiddy

moomoodiddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    Union County, NC
    they should be fine read them a happy good nite story before with nice warm cup of milk lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by