Are my Chicks to young to be put in the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blake2727, Apr 10, 2012.

1. blake2727

blake2727 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    It will be two weeks Thursday since we got our chicks. I hope to have the hen house and run finished by Thursday or Friday afternoon. The whole thing has about 8" deep and 6" wide of concrete poured at the base, is completely inclosed sides and top, and will have two strands of electric fence ran to prevent predators, and will be putting down powder lime around the outside to prevent snakes (old farm trick as the lime burns there stomachs and they won't cross it). Temps here are between 60 and 70 at night and 75 to 85 during the day. Are they still to young to go outside or will they be ok if I put them out there this weekend?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. chookmama

chookmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I think the feathers are key, more important gage than age. Speed of growth varies with variety and feed. I wouldn't put any out until they were well feathered - down doesn't provide much protection, and 2 weeks is still young.

3. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    [​IMG]

4. castillofa

castillofa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    This is my second year attempting to raise chickens from chicks. My mistake last year was not having a secure perimeter fence that prevented unwanted guests, i.e. our goats and dogs, from getting into the chicken area. I waited until they were able to jump (fly) out of the deep basin I using as a brooder.

This year, after securing heavy fencing over chicken wire, and some snow fencing - had extra and it saved me buying more chicken wire, I decided to use the hen house as the brooder. I just got some guineas, with chicks coming next week, and quickly learned that if something the size of a day old chick can get through the fencing. As for your situation at two weeks old, they may not have the body mass needed to complete the circuit with the electric fencing to be effective. It may be a good idea to way a bit longer.

My coop is 10x12x12 so we have plenty of growing room for them for a while.

Just a thought.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by