Are my chicks too young to go in the coop???

Chick15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
My dad wants to put our less than two week old chicks in the coop. Me and my dad made the coop together and it is fully insulated, he says that if we put the lamp in there that they will be fine. We put them in there, but i am worried! They are big, but they weren't really outgrowing the brooder YET. No matter what my papa says!

I really need to know, is it too soon? Should I go and get them? Or will they be fine in the coop? HELP!!!!

It depends on a few things... How cold is it going to be tonight where you are? What is the temperature under the heat source for the chicks? As long as the temperature under the light is warm enough, they should be fine if there are not drafts that can get to them.

I have had my chicks in a brooder outside in the coop scene we brought them home at 3 days old. they are in a plastic box with a heat lamp and they are fine and it even rained for three days and it got really cold but they are fine. We had some chicks in the plastic box with the heat lamp when it was still snowing here and there were fine so as long as they have a heat lamp am sure they will be fine. If you are still worried you could put them in there brooder and put the brooder in the coop. That might make you worry a little less. Good luck with you chicks.
Lillie:hugs

I put mine outside around 2 weeks. I live in NC and it's warm, even at night. I do have the heat lamp on in there, just in case. They like to sun" themselves under it off an on during the day, but at night, they huddle up together a few feet away, so they must not need it for warmth. I did have to move a lot of my chicks back inside today. Not b/c of the temp, though, but b/c my baby banties fit through the fence in our yard and most of our neighbors have dogs!

Back
Top Bottom