Are my chicks trying to kill themselves?

Melrose0415

Chirping
Sep 3, 2017
I just got a premier 1 heating plate... the chicks will not go under it- I’ve been adjusting the height and putting them back under there. I’m guessing if they were cold they would use it? They are not cheeping loudly or anything, they have been taking naps like in the picture, I have the heat plate angled to give the taller ones a tad more room. I just don’t want them to freeze! Opinions? Advice?

Attachments

• 87F835BF-B86A-4C03-BFAF-744B7B54D8CB.jpeg
    87F835BF-B86A-4C03-BFAF-744B7B54D8CB.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 22
PS - this is my second chick batch- I have used a heat lamp but wanted to get rid of the fire hazard!

Are they inside or out ?

Any they probably aren't cold
Currently inside! I attempted to put them in my unfinished basement last night, (I have a big brooder set up down there) but it’s a lot colder down there- they were peeping really loud but still didn’t use the heater- I adjusted the heater after two hours and still no use.. they survived the night down there but this morning I brought them back up into the living room and put them in my German shepherd’s dog old “soft crate” ... would like to move them back to the brooder but I want to make sure they won’t freeze

Attachments

• 4B45CE43-6A8B-4CFD-9E40-CA868968CC1A.jpeg
    4B45CE43-6A8B-4CFD-9E40-CA868968CC1A.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 11
Very carefully test the plate with your hand. There have been reports of some running too hot and needing to use a dimmer to turn them down. If you can't leave your palm on it, it's too hot.
Tried this- definitely not too hot! could it be because I was using a heat lamp for the first few days?

Tried this- definitely not too hot! could it be because I was using a heat lamp for the first few days?
They could be confused over where to go. I know some people have to kinda shove them under and block them in for a minute or two so they feel the warmth. Can you drape a cloth over it so there is a cave type of opening? That might make it more appealing and easier for them to recognize as safety.

They could be confused over where to go. I know some people have to kinda shove them under and block them in for a minute or two so they feel the warmth. Can you drape a cloth over it so there is a cave type of opening? That might make it more appealing and easier for them to recognize as safety.
I will try the drape! I did already try shoving them under a few times...

I will try the drape! I did already try shoving them under a few times...
I think that helps because it kinda contains/concentrates the heat to that little area and it makes it darker and more like a hiding spot. At least, mine got it immediately with the draped cave.

Hello....Did they start using the heat source?
It's never fun when we try our best for them and they refuse to use something....I bought my Dogs a fantastic Dog house....No way would they use it...It now is a Duck house and the Dogs sit outside without a care in the world..
I use a heat lamp and extra chain and zip ties to make sure it's not a fire hazard...

Back
Top Bottom