Are my chinckes going broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ~*~Ayano~*~, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ~*~Ayano~*~

~*~Ayano~*~ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    My mom and I have many chickens and two of the hens have started acting broody. One is a serama and the other is a cute mutt. Anyway they take turns sitting on the eggs and pretend to be broody. We were wondering if it is normal for them to take turns sitting on eggs. Momma will sit on them for a bit, then dot will go in the barrel and sit on the eggs as soon as momma gets off of them....is it normal? Are they going broody? Are they just teasing us? Help!!

2. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Normally when a hen is broody she will fluff up her feathers and screech when you pat/walk near her. I can be quite funny.[​IMG]
    Do they do this?
    We have some silkie hens sharing some eggs right now it is quite normal.

3. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Sorry meant 'It can be quite funny'

4. ~*~Ayano~*~

~*~Ayano~*~ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes they both will and when they are on the eggs they are just flat. I walked past the barrel and it screeched at me, I was a bit startled at first but started to giggle when she did it again.

5. broodysilkies!?!

broodysilkies!?! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    North Florida
    it sounds to me like they are both broody but there is only one set of eggs.... OR maybe they are just VERY good mothers [​IMG]

6. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    they are broody, i have one right now, this is her first time, she is 9 mths. old.
    I don't have a roo. so I have been trying the dunking method.
    you take her off the nest and dunk her in the cool water, just the back end to cool her off. I did it like 4 times today, she kept going back to the nest and sitting on nothing, so will keep trying tomorrow.

7. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Yep, if they schreech they are deffinetly broody.
    They must be good friends if they share the nest.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by