Are my chooks boys or girls?

Their feathers, males have different shaped hackle and saddle feathers. As for the eggs they are getting that age. Being winter (here, maybe where you are since you didn't fill out you location) they might not be getting enough light so the laying will be delayed. Chickens have to have so many hours of light during the day to trigger their laying.
It's summer here. Definitely plenty of light

Not sure if you were asking how to tell the girls were getting close to laying? If so, it’s because their combs are bright flaming red. Definitely look all around for eggs like someone suggested! Definitely switch to layer feed and have oyster shell available to them. They should have nice dark yellow or Orange yolks because they free range, but if you want to, there should be treats or supplements you can give to add things like omega 3s and other things.

Not sure if you were asking how to tell the girls were getting close to laying? If so, it’s because their combs are bright flaming red. Definitely look all around for eggs like someone suggested! Definitely switch to layer feed and have oyster shell available to them. They should have nice dark yellow or Orange yolks because they free range, but if you want to, there should be treats or supplements you can give to add things like omega 3s and other things.
Thanks for your advice! I will look to change feed and search for eggs every day

I had closed off the egg boxes since they were little and only opened them up the other day. Now they just poop in there
Are the roost higher than the nests?
Are they sleeping in the nests at night?
Might need to block off nests just before roost time, and unblock when you lock up after dark or at first light in the morning.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I have one of these coops with 4 chooks. I can keep them in there for a week or so I guess. Unfortunately it's 40c the following two days so it'll have to wait until after then. Else they'll be kfc :( I'll have to get some golf balls too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210123-234722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210123-234722_Chrome.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey guys. My chooks are finally at the stage where I should be expecting eggs soon. All 4 are about 17 weeks old.

It has come to my attention that one of the white chooks have quite a large comb where as one has a kind of medium size comb and one very very small. I bought them all supposedly sexed as hens so here I am thinking prehaps not.

What do you guys think?
Seems like two are austra whites, one leghorn and one australop. View attachment 2499710View attachment 2499711View attachment 2499712View attachment 2499713View attachment 2499715View attachment 2499716
Girls!

Back
Top Bottom