1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my dogs in danger?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Highland Peach, May 11, 2011.

1. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    That's a question that is opposite of what is usually asked. It's my chicks first night outside (9 weeks old) and they are in a temporary coop because we are moving in two weeks. I've got four t-posts in a rectangle with tiny square hardware wire mesh around the perimeter, attached with zip ties and I added chicken wire across the top, also attached with zip ties spaced approximately 4 inches apart. On three sides I've got chicken wire on the ground bending up the sides against the hardware wire, held down by rocks. On the forth side, I've got an uncovered 3' high dog pen that does not have a covered top. I put my Shih-Tzus out there thinking they could watch over the chicks and deter foxes and raccoons. However, now I'm thinking I may have painted a bullseye on my pups. Would a fox or raccoon attack my dogs in order to get to my chicks? Or worse, coyotes? I live in extreme north Georgia which is sparsely populated and very dense with forest. So, long story short, my question is - should I bring in my dogs for the night and will that kind of temporary coop be safe?

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I would bring them all inside. [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

ditto

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news; but yes, your pups are in danger. They may be fine for one night, but personally, I would never leave a small dog out over-night because they are so small they are a target. Their barking may deter foxes, but not a coyote. Coyotes would actually target your dogs - in many urban areas small dogs and cats are a food source for coyotes, and in the country coyotes try to entice large dogs into chasing one and then the rest of the pack takes out the "rival" (and that is a large dog, imagine a small one).

I grew up with small dogs and I love them, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a small dog out over night. I am sorry if I scared you, but you did ask [​IMG] and I wanted you to be aware so you can make an informed decision (spelling?).

[​IMG]

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have to agree, my large dogs can handle themselves and have proven they can but my shih tzu would not stand a chance against a fox or better yet an Owl which we have plenty around my area. I would bring them inside and same with the chicks. Good luck,

Ema

6. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks, I'm walking outside to get my dogs right now!!! I am still concerned about the chicks but do not have any place to put them inside. Tiny hardware wire mesh, t-posts and chicken wire top won't keep predators out of the coop? Crap!!! I am right in the middle of moving house!

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    If need be, I'd put the chicken youngsters in a dog crate or a cardboard box with some of your chicken wire over it and bring them inside, or put them in a shed or where ever you've had them until now. Better cramped for a bit and live to tell about it. [​IMG]

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Put them all in the garage SO YOU CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT! [​IMG]

9. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I agree, and Yotes consider any small pooch a fine meal.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I kept my hens in the garage in a portable playpen till it was time to add them to my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by