Are my Dominique chicks boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christinambuck, Apr 1, 2011.

1. christinambuck

christinambuck New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens. We started out with 10 Dominique eggs and ended up with 8 chicks. Only 3 of them have very dark legs with light colored toes. Only one has light colored legs and toes. The others all have shadow colored legs. The one with light legs and toes is more gray and I assume it is a boy. One that has shadowed colored legs has a very distinct spot on its head. I have all the pictures on this website: cinemapremiere.com/chicks. I would greatly appreciate any help determining which ones are boys and girls since we only want to keep 3 hens and give the others away. I know it would be easier giving away hens than roosters.

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    could you post a picture please:)

3. christinambuck

christinambuck New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
  4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    ok im thinking that chick 1 on your link is a little girl the rest look like boys to me. but Im not an expert but due to the light colored legs and the head spots they appear to be boys, hopefully someone out their will know better than me , good luck with them.

5. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:Good Morning Christina?
    You could try to post on the Dominique thread. There are people there that are very knowledgable & willing to help especially with your pictures.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

7. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
  8. christinambuck

christinambuck New Egg

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I have been to the dominiquechicken.com site several times looking at their pictures. It just gets me more confused because even ours that have dark legs have light toes. Here are pictures I just took of the 4 I think might be girls. 3 have dark legs and beak and light toes and one has a very small precise spot but shadowed legs and a light beak, so maybe that one is a roo. How old do chickens have to be before you can really tell if they are a hen or a rooster? And what do most people do with extra roosters? Is it easier to give them away when they are chicks?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by