Are my ducklings going to be cold?? My first batch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3Ducks, Oct 18, 2014.

1. 3Ducks

3Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    I have 6 ducklings born Sept 30..these were a accidental hatching..I didnot want no baby ducks..even though there cuter than heck..the mom is caring for them now ..but what is going to happen when the temps start dropping to 30 deg and down and down..they all cant fit under moms wing no more..should I be doing something for them?...what do the ducks do in the wild when they have babies in October??? Any input would be great...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What are your temps? and do you house them over night? as long as they are inside out of drafts they should be fine just give them all nice deep bedding i like to use shaving easy to clean. Duckling hatched by mamas are much hardier than brooder raised ducks, they have to be to survive. By the time they are a month old they should be feathering in pretty good. How do they look? do they look like they are doing okay? accidents happen but they are here now so please take care of them. I had to work hard this summer to keep all my 9 ducks from sitting on eggs and hatching, I know it's easy to over look hidden eggs.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  3. 3Ducks

Aug 29, 2012
    They were out today in 45 degrees..but this week is going down to 32..they have a shed to go in with shavings...when it was 40 out they were huddled together

4. 3Ducks

Aug 29, 2012
    They huddle together at night..but they were huddling during the day probably cauze it was windy out

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sure they were huddled they huddle to keep each other warm, I wouldn't let them get into water if it's down below 60 till they are completely feathered. If they are in a shed with bedding and mama is in their with them they should be okay. They will be a month old soon they should be fine. What breed are we talking about? Make sure they can eat 24/7 until 6 weeks old, then you can just feed during the day. eating will help keep their metabolism running good. Always keep water out when feeding.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by