Are my ducks alive?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mara620, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Mara620

Mara620 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    Someone please tell me what to do.... I saved these abandoned duck eggs and I can’t tell if they are alive. There are ten of them and today is the first day they should hatch. I can see what I think is the embryo and the embryo eye on three of them and they all have this sircle on their shell that is kind of red tinted. One of my eggs has a giant black object in them does this mean it is dead.? Plz help!

2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    pictures?

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

If due today you would not see an embryo anymore. The egg would be full. I don't understand what your trying to describe. Possibly dead..

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If they are close to hatching, when you candle them, you should be able to see some sort of movement inside the shell.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    A photo of what you see when you candle would help. Also, how did you calculate that today is hatch day? Are they in an incubator? How do you know how long the wild duck was sitting before you started incubating them? Maybe they aren't ready yet.

6. Mara620

Mara620 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    Not sure how long it’s been without the mom but we have incubated them about 28 days. I do see embryos in some and only one I see no movement but it looks fully developed. Here’s two of my eggs I think they are dead. We have no idea how long the mom was off them so we knew their survival rate would be low.

Attached Files:

7. Mara620

Mara620 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    One egg looks like just a giant dark thing that could be a fully developed egg but no movement.

8. chickens really

Definitely those are dead.

9. chickens really

That could be rotten too ? Does it have a nice air cell ?

10. Mara620

Mara620 In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2019
    There’s nothing on the air cell but none of my eggs have an oder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: