Are my ducks Crazy or what!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chiko, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Ok my ducks look crazy or stupid to me at least they seem to "like" the snow, the first day it snowed the ducks got out of their house and were swimming around in the 2 foot snow we werent sure if tey wre feeling cold or not but we immedieatley took them to the coop and gave them warm water and put them under tha heat lamp did we do the right thing or were they just fine on theyre own? thanks !

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    What kind of ducks and how old are they?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They were just fine on their own.

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    my duck love to go lye in tn the snow they are crazy, but cold hardy

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yes My ducks /Geese hatched out from the spring are loving the snow .....just like little kids.....

6. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Well they arent full grown but they arent babies either they are around 9 months old now 2 boys and 1 girl

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:mine are 9 months old. They have acess to a heated (low) hut but prefer their pen / pond. They dont mind the cold but dont love the snow to much
    they will dabble in it but sit on thier feet alot. I lay straw all over in and out of their pen. Today it got to 50 and melted the snow and they had a HAY DAY in the water..
    getting to warm and then putting them back in the cold can do more harm than good. Ive learned they are fine in the cold.
    PS. you need more girls with 2 boys.[​IMG]

8. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Quote:9 months is full-grown!

Don't worry about them, they will be fine. Just make sure they have plenty of outdoor shelter from wind, and straw to sit on. I built mine a makeshift shelter as I knew they would not go inside their dry warm cosy coop during the day, but they never used it! The frozen ground did not seem to bother them one bit.

Hattie is right about the ratio - perhaps in the Spring?

9. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    My duck are about the same age, they love the snow too! Just provide a place for them to escape the snow and wind and they will if they need to. They will be fine. Happy duck keeping!

10. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Our ducks LOVE the snow, they even make a slip and slide from the their pond out and play on it all day, they are sooooo exhausted they actually sleep most the night. We stuff rice straw in their house for them to snuggle into and get warm when they so choose to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by