Are my ducks feathers coming in?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bcbcbc777, Mar 14, 2015.

1. bcbcbc777

bcbcbc777 Out Of The Brooder

Hi. I currently have 4 ducklings (2 khakis and 2 pekins). The are about 4 weeks and they are starting to look a little bald around their wings. They are starting to lose their fluff. Is that normal when their freathers come in to start getting a little bald in those areas? Thanks. :/

2. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Without seeing pictures it's hard to say for sure, sure. But yes, I have always found that ducklings will look a little bald when transitions from their baby fluff to their adult feathers. I don't think it's anything to worry about!

3. bcbcbc777

Ok thank you!! I've had experience with chickens but ducks are a first for me. Also. They are pretty skiddish. Is there anything I can do to make them less scared? And it's really noticeable when they're wet. I just let them swim to get some of the dirt and stuff off their chests and you could really tell then.

4. DucksnDaffodils

DucksnDaffodils Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Yep! Ducklings always look funny as the grow up.. :) Not a problem. As for the skittish problem.. yeah that's kind of a duckling thing. Ducks are more herd oriented, so if you have more than one of them they won't be super friendly, because they imprint on their ducky friends not you. But you can make them "less scared". Treats. If you start them young some of my ducklings LOVED peas! (Frozen peas soaked in a little warm water work great!) You might have to start just dropping them near them until they realize how good they are and then slowly work them towards eating out of your hand. Mine got to a point where they would race behind me following me, because I started by dropping peas. :) Meal worms, will work too. and bits of greens, lettuce spinach etc (all in moderation). But the HUGE thing with ducklings, is patience, and being SLOW. Move like mollasses, anything sudden startles them. It might take them a long time to eat out of your hand, just keep trying a little closer each time. If I had them in a pen outside I would just sit in it next to them, (with a book :) ) they'll freak out at first but they'll get used to you, mine would actually cuddle next to me and sometime climb on my (towel covered) lap.

Hope that helps some! :)

5. bcbcbc777

Thanks you!! That's awesome! I'll try that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by