1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my EE's pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom-to-5, Dec 13, 2013.

1. mom-to-5

mom-to-5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    I am new to this and have a mixed backyard flock of 9 that are 10 weeks old. All of them appear to be pullets but I am questioning my two EE's (which were sold to me as Ameraucana's but I'm thinking they are EE's).
    I tried to capture a few pictures of them, can anyone tell me if they think they are pullets, or do I have roos?
    They are the same size as most of the flock. They are the least social but I think that could be a bread thing or just individuality, they are starting to try to roost (which no one else does) but otherwise they don't seem over protective, etc. Their combs are small but their feathers have me guessing.
    Any insight from those more experienced?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, both look like pullets to me [​IMG]

Welcome to the addictive world of chickens and the BYC! [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You appear to have two pullets.

4. BarredRock1980

BarredRock1980 New Egg

Nov 8, 2013
    mid michigan
    mine look the same as yours do and they are ladies

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I wonder about the one in the 5th picture.

6. mom-to-5

Jul 23, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Yeah, this gives me hope. All the others have definite pullet feathering but these two left me a little nervous so to hear everyone else thinks they are pullets leaves me happy!!
    Thank you, thank you!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both EE's look like pullets--that is typical pullet coloring, and I don't see any major rooster characteristics.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those both appear to be female.

Just as an fyi, at least one looks to have a straight comb, which lessens her chances of laying blue or green eggs. It can be confusing when you think a bird isn't laying, cause all you're getting is brownish eggs.

9. mom-to-5

Jul 23, 2013
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you for the comb info and egg coloring...that is nice to know. Although a greenish/blue egg would be nice I'll love these ladies either way :) and now will not think they aren't laying.
    I appreciate all of your experience and knowledge!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by