Are my eggs developing too slowly?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Nov 5, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I put them all in on Sunday evening last week. Yesterday was the day I cracked one and could see a tiny heartbeat. Today I candled (I know I SAID I wasn't!) and I could see spidering of the veings, and a small embryo forming. You couldn't see the tiny dark spot candling yesterday. I was googling and someone had pics and theirs looked like this on day 3...are mine going too slow? I think my temps have been a little low because its really cold in the house.
    Is there any chance they will make it if I keep the room warmer to keep the bator temps up?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

It concerns me when you say you "cracked" one..... I usually don't candle til day 14, that way you are pretty certain whether a particular egg is viable. They sound fine, but I have had the same problem this time of year with variable heat in the house. That said, you should have at least 1 thermometer in your incubator. I personally run 2 with 1 old fashioned mercury thermometer reading about 101 and the digital reading 98.8.

Check them again on day 14. If there is a big blob and a well defined air pocket, you should be fine going into lock down.

The first few are always exciting.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    loanwizard The cracked egg was an accident.

lswatson111304
    I'm sorry to hear about your cracked egg. I know how you feel, but know your not alone! Most of us have done it at one time or another. I have a dented egg in the bator I patched.

If your temps are a little low , it will take a little longer to hatch. There is a good thread in the Sticky showing how the eggs develop.

It's a good idea as loanwizard stated to use 2 thermometers. I have a chick right now that doesn't seem as developed as the rest and tomorrow is my lock down. He's kicking up a storm, so i'm just figuring he may take a day or 2 longer.

4. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i'm on day 23 and some of mine are just developing. [​IMG] [​IMG] what temp are you at?

5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I've had a friend's eggs start developing on day 10 so anything is possible and surely not unlikely they just started late.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Your temp might be a little low or your thermometer could be off a little. If the temp is low then they can hatch a day or two later.

7. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I think I got the temp where it should be today. Hopefully it will hold through the night.

8. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    chill out lol. just let them go.

9. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:your temp should be 100-101f

10. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps