Are my eggs done

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thumbless, Nov 18, 2009.

1. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I came home from bowling tonight and my lightbulb was burnt out, and the temp inside the bator was 68 I picked up one of the eggs and it was cold to the touch.

Tonight was lockdown to.

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i would get them warmed back up and cross your fingers... you never know....

3. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    oh no!!! well you know, the momma hen gets up for a little bit each day and eats.. goes to the bathroom.... are you going to try to save them?

4. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:Yes I have it back on I tried to candel them but all I can see it the air sack.

5. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Life will find a way.

Warm them up and try it. You got nothing to lose now.

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Yep... i'd try it...

Maybe

Good Luck

7. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Try it. Some of my hens were so careless in the past and I thought that their eggs would never hatch, but they did. They were really cold too, so give them a chance and hope for the best!

[​IMG]

8. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    Thanks guys this is my own fault I have a 60wt bulb in there and I was taking water out and dripped some on the bulb, and pop, and what I said next can’t be repeated on here. I was scrambling around the house going from room to room, my wife said I looked like the Tasmanian devil found another one in a lamp and it burned out two days later.

Guess we will see what happens in a few days.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:you need to add extra light bulbs for your incubator and your brooder to your animal emergency kit.. lol..

no, i don't have mine together yet, and my incubator has a heating element.. but i should make sure there's extra lightbulbs somewhere specifically for brooding...

i read somewhere about someone keeping an extra buld for their brooder after they had to make an emergency run to the store while hubby tried to keep chicks warm.. lol...

any updates on them yet??

10. thumbless

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    No no updates yet

I'm going to do some work on the bator after this is done, it has a couple of issues the bigest one it the plexiglass has warped and I have a brick on it holding it down, so I'm going to add real glass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by