"Are My Eggs Fertile?" Help From Hatchers Thread

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Aug 13, 2013.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so I need help with figuring out if my eggs are fertile and y'all's help would be nice. I bet other people would like y'all's opinion too so I made this thread

2. Kathrynmodra

Kathrynmodra Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Yep following this one. First time incubating and I have 4 araucana eggs in it. They came from a pen with a rooster. But I don't know if that means they are fertile or not.

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

Ok so my leghorn has been laying on eggs. Idk how long but I candled them the best I could and took pics of 2 of the 6 eggs.
    Egg 1
    [​IMG]
    Egg 2
    [​IMG]

Anyone know?

4. OneCrazyCowgirl

Same here, first time hatching. Hopefully we can get some hatcher help

5. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Have you started to incubate them? The only thing I have read is that you need to put them in the incubator for 3 days then look for veins. I have no experience with it myself but mine are day 2 in the bator so tomorrow I might see something.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
  7. OneCrazyCowgirl

I saw that. Just wanted some individual opinions. :) Thanks! I'm gonna go check the other eggs and post pics of those too.

8. OneCrazyCowgirl

Well I'm not incubating them. I just don't know anything about hatching chicks and this is my first time. I have 3 broody hens trying to hatch some eggs

9. Kathrynmodra

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks. bobbi j that is helpful to me, I can clearly see the veins I need to look for.

A broody hen would be great. All my chickens are too young to lay, but I have some fizzle crosses and heard they get broody. So hopefully in the future they can be good little mummas for me :) good luck!

10. OneCrazyCowgirl

Thanks! Ok so I took pics of the other 3 eggs. Can anyone tell me if egg 5 is fertile??? Half the egg is like dark. Could that be a body or?

Egg 3
    [​IMG]

Egg 4
    [​IMG]

Egg 5
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by