Are my eggs fertile? Or alive?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hollytamale, May 10, 2009.

1. hollytamale

hollytamale New Egg

May 10, 2009
    My Chinese goose has been sitting on two eggs for about 3 weeks now. I took them in to look at them with a flashlight and couldn't see through them except a large clear part at the top. Is that good? Or are they rotten?

The male and female were getting along quite well a while back [​IMG]

And also, how long can goose eggs be left unattended in 70* weather and be okay?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have found that eggs can be left alone in decent weather for a considerable amount of time. I had two broodies fighting over one nest... I thought dividing up the eggs would solve the problem [​IMG] but no, it did not. But, after an entire night and a few hours here and there of trying to get the hens on both nests, things are going well and all are developing.

Your eggs sound like they are developing. The clear part at the top is the air cell. The dark mass is the chick growing inside. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The dark spot is the gosling and the clear spot at the top is the air cell. Ducks and geese get off the nest to go swim and eat then usually get back on the nest,, but as far as a certain time limit, I don't know. Mine usually don't stay off for more than about 30 mins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by