Are my eggs fertile or bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollytamale, May 10, 2009.

1. hollytamale

hollytamale New Egg

May 10, 2009
    My Chinese goose has been sitting on two eggs for about 3 weeks now. I took them in to look at them with a flashlight and couldn't see through them except a large clear part at the top. Is that good? Or are they rotten?

The male and female were getting along quite well a while back [​IMG] But theyre each under a year old...

And also, how long can goose eggs be left unattended in 70* weather and be okay?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i believe its 28 days til they hatch??? (someone else will know)

3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    At 3 weeks, if they are developing, the egg will appear solid dark when candled except for the air space at the top.

4. KnightslilAngel

KnightslilAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Milford/Norwalk, CT
    you're eggs are good dont worry :3

5. hollytamale

hollytamale New Egg

May 10, 2009
    Thanks for the encouraging words, guys! Its funny, though. The sitter isn't the mother! The real mom had a huge nest (18 and wouldn't sit) and the other female lived alone at my cousins and would sit on infertile chicken eggs like crazy! I felt bad for her so I gave her 2 (hopefully) fertile eggs from my original pair and shes been sitting ever since, even after we moved her to my house with a new nest and a gander and everything! (Coyotes got his mate, the real mother, and the gander was depressed so she became his companion)

I guess she's got a very strong maternal instinct to be so young!

Can anyone answer my question about how long eggs stay good?

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by