Are My Eggs Infertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheLezzyChicks, Mar 11, 2014.

1. TheLezzyChicks

TheLezzyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    Okay so I'm taking a rookie run on trying to hatch eggs. I bought an incubator that should be here at some point today but I wont be putting my eggs in until Friday. I usually get three eggs a day from my small flock and I have one ten month old rooster. Honestly I've never seen my rooster try to mount my hens. Infact he doesnt act like a rooster at all. I thought he was a hen until recently because he seemed fly under my radar. I really want chicks but I don't think the eggs are fertile. Is there any way that I can tell if he's mated with my hens? Or can I tell if my eggs are fertile before putting them in the incubator? Is my rooster too young to even get my hens pregnant? Thank you any help you can provide <3

2. LunarBug

LunarBug Chillin' With My Peeps

You can candle the eggs to see if they are fertile (there are tons of posts on candling eggs) before putting them into the incubator. Or if you aren't sure about this, you can crack one of them open. You will see a white bullseye in the yolk, which would mean that egg was fertile (though not usable once you open it up).

3. TheLezzyChicks

TheLezzyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Washington
    Thank you. I've candled my eggs but all I've seen was the air sac. Is there anything specific I should look for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by