Are my eggs ok?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mygirls, Apr 18, 2008.

1. mygirls

mygirls New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    Hi!
    I'm new at having chickens so it's not surprising that I am already curious about my eggs. I only have 3 hens (my girls) and no roosters. Still, I started out tonight reading the informative messages about how to tell if an egg is fertile... but what does it mean if the egg white is milky and there is almost a cloudy white sack around the yolk? I've never seen an egg like that before and when I broke 5 eggs, two were like that.

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Hi mygirls. I wish that I could answer that question for you. I would like the answer also. I see that this is your first post and wanted to tell you that if you do not get a reply to the question tonight, then give it time. More people will be online in the morning and you will get responses. I know that I posted a question earlier and have gotten no replies to it yet.

[​IMG]

Dorothy

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    How old are the hens? I'm new at this too but i would think if they are just starting to lay it might take a little while to get perfect eggs?

I hope someone with more experience will respond.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome! I bet those two "cloudy" eggs were the two freshest in the box! It takes time for the proteins in the egg to degrade and become clear and watery much like store eggs.

5. mygirls

mygirls New Egg

Apr 18, 2008
    I already love this site!!! Thanks for taking an interest in a "newby".
    I'm not sure how old my girls are, but I know that they are beautiful Rhode Island Reds.
    When I went to cook these eggs, the ones with the cloudy/milky whites were in the fridge for a few days, along with the ones that were not cloudy.
    I'm still puzzled and have been leery about eating any of the eggs that I continue to collect.
    If I had a rooster, I'd just leave them to be hatched...

6. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Quote:Hi and welcome to BYC eggs were real fresh and will not be fertile unless you have a roo.

Mindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by