Are My Eggs Safe To Eat????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doublejfarm, Jun 7, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    I had an earlier post about my birds being sick. I got replies that it was a respiratory infection. I also was told how to treat it. My question now is. Are the eggs that I am getting safe to eat?

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Not if you treated with antibiotics. Two weeks of no egg eating, at least. Good luck!

3. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    I agree it's safer not to get them for about 2wks.

4. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I guess I am unique, as when we had our chickens on antibiotics, I did not sell any eggs but I couldn't bring myself to throw away 6 to 8 eggs a day so we put them aside in the frig and we ate them. Nothing happened to us, we didn't get sick or even ill and I saw no difference in taste. Can someone tell me what it is that you can't eat them?

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, I may get flamed for this, but I wouldn't waste them. I think the biggest issue is that there are traces of the antibiotic in the eggs, albeit minute traces. Many of the antibiotics used on poultry aren't technically labeled for use in humans, although some are the same basic drug. And, there is always the remote chance that someone will have an allergic reaction, but that is rare.

You could always just feed them back, although it would somewhat delay the time it takes to clear the antibiotics from the birds.

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Personally I would wait two weeks from when the last dose was administered unless directions say otherwise.

7. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Ok ok thanks y'all but what about the eggs layed post sickness but pre treatment

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, it depends on what the illness was -- its probably UNLIKELY to be a human pathogen, since most of the things that make US sick are normal flora for the birds and they just carry it, don't get sick from it.

And, thorough cooking would kill most anything, too, making them safe to eat unless it was some kind of toxin (like the current E. coli outbreak in Europe).

But, really, its your call -- you have to decide for yourself if it's "worth it".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by