Are my eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Autumn J, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Autumn J

Autumn J Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Yesterday, I wasn't home to collect my eggs. It was about 80*F outside. They were shaded in the nesting box, and I have NEVER seen my hens sit on their eggs (they always sleep on their roost as well.) I collected them today along with today's batch. There's no way to tell yesterdays eggs from today's, and I'd really hate to discard a whole dozen. Are the eggs safe for consumption? They have since been washed and put in the fridge, just waiting for the ok, GO lol.
    ----------------------------------------
    Autumn J

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    There's not really a good answer for you. You just have to decide if you want to risk it or not. I've had people tell me that eggs can last at room temp for a long time and they didn't get sick from them. But if you talk to others, they will tell you that the risk for salmonella is too great. And of course the CDC, FDA, Dept of Ag will always tell everyone that if it doesn't go in the fridge as soon as it comes out of a chicken, then it isn't safe.

Personally, I would not throw them away - I wouldn't sell them to anyone but I would keep them for myself. But then my family doesn't have any small children, elderly persons, or persons with compromised immune systems that might be susceptible to even the tiniest germ out there.

I would probably break them into a dish prior to actually putting them into food, just so I could see what they looked and smelled like once they were broken open - just in case there was something funky in there.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    i wouldnt have a problem with it. but some people might, i dont think it "went bad" As long as it was clean and in a nest box, its only from yesterday (a few hours ago) i dont see any harm

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I would think they are fine. Its happened to me before too and I did use them. Just crack them in a bowl and inspect them before adding to your recipe or frying pan. [​IMG]

5. Autumn J

Autumn J Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks everybody. I'll keep an eye on them when I crack them. Should be good!

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    In most of the world they don't refrigerate their eggs at all. Several days will not make them go bad.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by