1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my eggs still good??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snork, Apr 1, 2016.

1. snork

snork New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    Hi all, my question is... I have eggs in the incubator and my electricity went off yesterday for 1 to 2 hours , when it came back on the temp was 83 . Do you think the eggs are still good ??

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    They should be. I have lost power for 10+ hours and still had eggs hatch and temps get in the 50's.

3. snork

snork New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    ok, Thanks

4. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    My guess is yes. I had an incubator go haywire on me with temps fluctuating from 95 to 106. 2 days went by before I could get them in a better bator and I have 17 of 27 still looking good 2 weeks later. High temps are way worse than low temps and thats prob what got mine so you should be fine.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    I agree your eggs will be fine. Look at it like the hen getting off the nest to feed and drink in nature. My incubator has a cool down option that replicates the hen leaving the nest each day. I set it to go off for an hour each day. The heating element turns off all together so it cools right down.

Good luck with your hatch :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by