Are my girls confused?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldMcContri, Jul 30, 2014.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    For the entire week and a half the girls have been in their coop and run they will not go actually all the way in the coop to roost. Inside stays about 77 degrees at night and I have a solar powered jar light right outside one of the windows so there is a little light inside. They instead bunch up together at the entry and even take turns sleeping in the ramp throughout the night. Are they confused, scared or just enjoying their freedom and the outdoors or what?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    They look pretty young. That is very normal behavior for birds that age. Mine used to do that. Eventually they started using the roost. At first they would just sleep in the doorway. They don't need a light btw.

3. OldMcContri

May 29, 2014
    Ok yeah most of them are turning 8 weeks this friday. And someone told me from here and I read that chickens can't see too well in the dark so having a little light helps. Plus it helps me see things at night in the run if I hear noises or anything

4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    They can't see well in the dark but it's okay, they don't need to. Chicken survival strategy is to go to roost and stay put til dawn. Its pitch dark at night in my coop and my girls don't mind it a bit.

If you want you can start putting them on the roost at night but with that light on they will likely just hop down. Or just leave them be and they will roost when they're ready. Bunching up in the doorway is appropriate for their age and it's unusual for chickens to not transition to a roost if there is a suitable one available. I let mine be and they started roosting around 10 weeks or so.

5. FriendofChicken

FriendofChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    My girls are about the same age and they actually go in the coop to sleep but still pile up. I have been going out and putting them on the roost. They are slowly getting the hang and I'm finding them piling closer and closer to the roost each time... I too, have a night light but I'm thinking about pulling it soon.

6. OldMcContri

May 29, 2014
    I am glad to hear that the age has alot yo do with it. And Marilyn, the show girl baby silkie is finally able to get up the ramp on her own and join her sisters without my help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by