1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Are my girls courting a new rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by funkychickenowner, Nov 23, 2008.

1. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    I have just introduce a rooster to my 20 or so hens that have been raised without a man they are about 7 months old. Ever since I brought in a 2 YO rooster. He pretty much stays inside the coop. I have about 5 of the hens that constantly go into the coop and roll aroud and dust themselves like the did outside but at a pretty fevered pace throwing stuff all around and all at the same time as Mr rooster looks on from inside the coop. It looks to me like a got a few tramps in the bunch!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Is this normal? And is this what is happening? Sure looks that way, any input appreciated.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think it is normal. We have had our ro since we got the chickens, but when integrated younguns into the group the other ladies danced all over the place around him, and chased the younger ones. too funny!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's normal. My own bunch of ut hums were raised up together and they still fight over who gets to sleep closest to my alpha roo every night.
    There are advantages to being the roo's favorite and the hens know this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: