Are my girls Molting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by navychick, Sep 14, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Our girls are 9 weeks old, healthy and happy, knock on wood. Lately I've noticed quite a few feathers in their coop and run. They don't have bald spots. We live in Michigan and the days are getting a bit shorter and it is definitely cooling down. Are they molting? If so how long does this last? How will this effect their egg laying later this fall? Also I've noticed alot of talk about worming on these boards. When do I first worm them and with what? Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chicks go through two juvenile molts before they are adults. They just outgrow their baby feathers and need to replace them. What you are seeing is their first. They should have another juvenile molt in maybe another month and a half.

3. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Thank You

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Our EE started going through this when she was about 8 weeks, and she's still doing it. Her back looks a bit ratty and the rest of her a bit disheveled because of it, but it doesn't seem to bother her a bit. The others are definitely losing some plumage, too, though not as overtly showing it as the EE.

I was told what you were - juvenile molting. Apparently not as dramatic as adults molts can be, but can still make for some uncomfortably pin-feathered chickies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by