1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my girls normal ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The girls are 7 days old. From day one they have avoided the heat lamp. It was at 95 degrees, so I raised it and took the temp down to 90 and they were happy. Yesterday they started avoiding it again so I raised it a tad and dropped the temp down to 86 and they are happy again.

Should I just listen to them or should I lower the lamp and raise the temp again? I really think trusting them to know they are too warm is the best way but I want experienced opinions on this one.

My girl with pasty butt...that only lasted 2 days...is that normal or okay? I check her several times per day but she has been fine for 2 days now so far.

Thanks for the input in advance.

2. joanna

joanna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2007
    sounds like you are doing a perfect job of listening to what your chicks need. keep up the good work [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Every thing sounds normal. The chicks tell you if they need more heat. As long as they are happy everything is fine.

Pasty butt is a normal sign of stress that only lasts a couple days.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

4. meant2bemommie

meant2bemommie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    California
    Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of listening to your babies. I would just keep listening to them.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yay! I am doing good then. Thanks everyone for the input.

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your doing a great job brooding your chicks.an your doing good with your pasty butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by