1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my girls ok outside at 6 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GroverBeachMom, Apr 29, 2008.

1. GroverBeachMom

GroverBeachMom New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    Central Coast California
    First timer with chickens. I'm in LOVE! Anyway, I have 3. 1 Buff Orpington, 1 RIR, 1 Ameraucana. They are 6 weeks old, fully feathered. They started in a brooder, then moved to the garage. They did great without the heat lamp in the garage last week. It got to be about 85 degrees during the day so we moved the coop outside yesterday and this is their second night out there. Problem? They scream unless they have the heat lamp on them out there. Can't tell if they are stressed by the move, don't like the dark, or if they are just cold. Currently it gets to be about 45 at night. We live on the Central California Coast. Are they too young to be out there without a heat lamp? Am I suppose to be "training" them to live without the heat lamp, or should I baby them a little longer? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    In my opinion, 45 degrees is a bit chilly for 6 week old chicks outside without any other heat source.
    I use heat for my chicks until they don't use it anymore.

We built brooder boxes that they can get under or roost on top of. They don't put off much light in the coop, so as they get older, I turn off any overhead lights to let them get used to the darker coop. By the time the night time temps are at about 60 degrees, my chicks don't go under the brooder much, I put 100 watt bulbs in it as the temps warm up and when they don't go under it at all, I turn it out.

As long as they can get away from the heat if it is too warm, I'd give them the extra heat at night. As it warms up, I'd lower the wattage of the bulbs.
    You might even have to go to a nightlight to keep them quiet if you have scaredy-cat chickens![​IMG]

Jean

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    If they are fully feathered, I think 45 degrees is okay. I put mine out, when fully feathered, at 7 weeks and 36 degrees and they were fine. If you can stand to keep them in one more week, it might be a little better though.

The chicken breeds you have are pretty hardy overall. Good luck!

4. GroverBeachMom

GroverBeachMom New Egg

Apr 29, 2008
    Central Coast California
    Wow! That was a really fast reply. Thank you both!

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Sure! I love it when I get fast replies here, too. This is such an excellent resource.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by