Are my girls old enough to stop worrying about temp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bovine0001, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bovine0001

bovine0001 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    So my girls are a month old in a days. My coop has a ramp from the run below it. They require me to get in the run (so fun [​IMG] ) and push them up the ramp to get them in the coop at night. I do this for 2 reasons: 1. They camp out on the corner where a racoon could easily put a paw through 2. I don't want them getting cold.

When do I stop worrying about temperature? Its in the cool 50s at night these days, or warmer.

I gotta stop getting in that run every night!! [​IMG]

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Well, honestly, I hatch chicks and as soon as they hit three days old, they go outside in this little teepee sort of hut made out of two old fashioned wire screen doors screwed together with thick wood on the end. it is very durable, and i just cover them up with a tarp at night to protect from rain.I now have 2 month olds that are growing fine, an still more chicks out there now.i gets in the 50-60s here at night, and they do fine. Just the way they would do in the wild, except without a mother and they huddle toether in a ball. I haven't had the first problem. The family won't let them stay inside. So I guess yours should be fine.

3. EliseB

EliseB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    My chicks are the same age as yours, they turned 4 weeks this past week. I put mine out in their new coop on Sunday - I'm in Minnesota and it's 80's during the day and around 60 - 70 at night. It sounds like I have the same set up as you, with a run below the coop, and I always put them up at night. When it's bedtime I bring them a little treat, call here chicky, chicky, chicky and they come running up the ramp!

4. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Ely mn here and we been in the 70's and last week 90's but at night we get to 50 and below .. soon our short summer will be over with we really only have one good month of summer here.. my babies are 3 weeks old and i think i will wait till they are 5 weeks before i move mine out side tho.. if you have a few maybe nto warm enough for them at night, i have 27 of them, but i will also use my red light out side in the coop when they go for at nights..

leave a light on inside the coop then will come in.. or keep them in the cop for 2-3 days.. they will learn from that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by