Are my girls ready for their coop?

PeepsAreForMe

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Pemberton Borough, NJ
I have 3 GSL's and 2 bantams, all are 7 weeks tomorrow. Are they feathered enough to start sleeping out in their coop? Im in NJ and it was in the 40's last night, kind of chilly. This weekend it will be in the mid 50's, then next week the 60's at night. DH and I are finishing up the coop this weekend. Here are my GSL's:

Below, Ariel is on the left and Goldilocks is on the right. You can just see the head of one of my bantams, Snow White. I caught her, the smallest one, flying up and headbutting the screen you see the other one sitting on. Twice she knocked it into the box and one time Ariel was outside on the floor, and Snow White was wedged between a bag of seed and a bag of pine shavings! Do you think they are feathered enough to go outside? They are certainly acting ready!!!!

Here's a closeup of Ariel:

Depends if you'll be having other full grown hens in there or not. If there are not, you don't have to worry about other hens picking on them. When they're as old as shown here, you have about another week or two to go, and they'll be fine to withstand the 40 deg. temps.
Hope this helps.

Take the heat lamp away for a couple of days before putting them outside. They shouldn't need it anyways at their age. They will be fine as long as they can get out of the wind and cuddle up somewhere together.

It is just the five of them, no other hens. I turned the heat lamp off the other night but had it on last night. I need to stop thinking because I am cold they must be too!! I know in my head they will be fine, but my heart thinks different!! Thank you all for your quick replies!!!

Back
Top Bottom