are my golden cuckoo marans babies too yellow?

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
5 hatched. There are 3 girls and 2 boys I believe. The boys have a lot more yellow that my last 2 that hatched last month. Is this good or bad? One is almost completely blonde with a bit of light gray. He has quite a bit of personality too.

6382_p9220459.jpg

ETA: no, the brooder is not always that messy. I took this pic when I got up this morning. The pic I took with the clean paper towels didn't show the colors as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe he is holding a piece of chick food. I ground it up in the blender, but a few pieces were still a bit large. I have Dumor chick starter, and for some reason both bags that I bought this year have had huge pieces.

I haven't hatched any of these yet, but I understand they really change a lot. I haven't found anything that says their color as a chick is indicitive of adult color in this type (except for gender of course). I can't wait to see for myself
tongue.png

Depends on the barring gene, homozygous males B/B will be lighter than the darker heterozygous males B/b+ and hemizygous pullets B/-.
David

Jody the light ones are cockerels and will have more gold as they get older. I don't know if there is officialy any such thing as too much gold... the hens tend to just have gold hackels but a couple have a sprinkling down their backs and on their chests... The males have gold over the whole back and are only cuckoo underneath.

When they feather up a little you will see the barring coming in on the wings just like in the cuckoo pics of the older chicks that berkleysprings posted... and that was not dumb it was very helpful to see older cuckoo Marans chick pictures.

Some pullets look very red in the right light too but this darkens up.

They are very cute.

Back
Top Bottom