1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my hens Easter Eggers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blue_Myst, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a few hens I don't know what breed they belong too, and I'm really curious to find out. I thought they were Easter Eggers, since they have pea combs, muffs (I believe this is the correct term, they are like little cushions), beards, the mottled feathering, full tails, everything except they all lay rather large light brown eggs. Never any hint of color. This is confusing me tremendously, what breed could they be? [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They could still be easter eggers. I had a couple that laid light brown.... I was so disappointed.

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    most likely they are EE's crossed I have one hen that looks like you decribed her color is bard rock pattern i now wonder what color she lays i get 2 green eggs at least 6 days a week. I know they come form 2 different chickens and only 2 chickens by the shape and size they are and one of the chickens for sure looks (normal) and bard rock pattern. So yours could be EE's

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The one EE I have that is of laying age lays cream colored eggs.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    EE's are just mutts who are the product of much cross breeding of their ancestors. Consequently, they can lay eggs which are any color from white to green. Most likely, your hens are EE's, they just don't lay green eggs.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yes, sounds like they are. EEs can be any color and lay any color eggs.

7. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Some of mine are so light they look like well egg shell white (thanks Home Deopt) but they are still EE's.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Can you post pics? EEs don't usually have mottled plumage. What you are describing sounds more like a silver laced wyandotte to me, but I would need to see pics to know for sure.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It's a long shot as they are rare, I believe,... but could they be Orloffs? Looking at your avatar... if that is the bird in question... then yes, they are EEs [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  10. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    A couple of my EEs lay a light brown almost pinkish colored egg. Don't be too disappointed though! Think of how hard it is for a hen to have to push an egg out every day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by