Are my hens laying days over?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss_thenorth, May 9, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    In september, I got my 6 sexlinks. they were a product of a broken home, and given to me by my sil. We didn't have much info on them, so I didn't know how old they were etc.
    They laid fine all through the winter, but since spring, I'm lucky if I get 2 to 3 eggs a day. Their calcium seems to be off, even though I am feeding them layer crumbles w(and I have tried three differnt kinds ) and give crushed egg shells in yogurt quite often. One hen has all of the feathers off of her neck, but nowhere else, (and she is my most frequent layer). Are they just old, is there any way to age a hen? Are their laying days over? If not, is there anything else I can try to help them?

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Are there feathers laying around the ground and coop? They may be in a molt. Do you have any idea, even a round about estimate, as to their age? If you think their calcium is off try offering free access to crushed oyster shell. Sexlinks tend to "burnout"(stop laying) early in life, so it is very possible, but we'll eliminate other possibilities first.

-Kim

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Only one hen is losing feathers, and ironically, she is the one that I see consistently laying. therefore, I don't think they are molting.

I have absolutely no idea their age. I have been getting rubber eggs.and I don't know if it s one hen, or many, its hard to tell.

I was told crushed egg shells are good instead of oyster shell--after all it 'is' calcium. Yes? No? And they are getting that as well as their regular feed which has calcium in it.

Could it be worms? Anything else? Iv'echecked for lice.mites--nothing. their eyes are clear and their combs are red. Feet look good and they are still happy chickens.

i can't think of anything else, which is why I suspect they are old.

I will try what I can for them, if there is anything i can do. If not, I will have to get more laying birds.

4. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Some things come to mind. If they have never been wormed, take a stool sample to vet. They may be getting ready to moult. Mine all took a break this Spring too and then started up again, give them some time. Crushed egg shell or oyster shell are very good, mine seem to like the egg shell better. When you pick them up do they feel nice and heavy? Sometimes folks don't notice their weight until they pick them up. If their combs are nice and red they are still of laying age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by