1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my hens not normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andreanar, Dec 10, 2014.

1. andreanar

andreanar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My hens have began laying in the last month. When they go to lay, they sit in the nest for an hour before the egg comes. Is this normal? Sometimes one of the others is waiting for the favorite nest, and at this rate it's going to take all day for them all to finish laying.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Entirely normal, yes. Some hens make more of a production of the whole affair than others. I have some that will hop in the nest and be back out again within 10 minutes, leaving behind a lovely fresh egg - and hens that will spend over an hour in the nest, shifting, turning, moving the bedding, etc before getting around to actually laying their egg. Each hen is an individual. Some prefer not to spend a moment more in the nest than necessary, others are all about their nesting time.

3. andreanar

andreanar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thanks. I only have 4 laying so far and each one is taking about an hour or so in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by